[CAUT] Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 15:52:38 MDT 2010

As a comparison I would say not on these bellies.  A strong application to
the lower shoulders will produce something different than an attempt to wick
the same solution to within 2 mm of the crown.  That strong solution which
will reinforce the lower shoulder will not produce the same result beneath
the strike point.  Under the strike point it will be too harsh sounding.  I
don't know this particular piano but having seen many of Del's iterations
and designs I would say that you must be cautious with lacquer solutions.
The bellies are light and tend to respond very adequately with softer
hammers.  The idea that a D belly would even be close to something
acceptable with an unreinforced Ronsen Bacon hammer should be a clue as to
the responsiveness.   If you want to wick something under the crown then a
much lighter solution is in order than the one which will be used to
reinforce the lower shoulders.  At least that's been my experience.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com