[CAUT] Yamaha CFIIIS

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 11:55:21 MDT 2010

Haven't the hammers been reshaped a few times?   We have for use a CFIIIS from Yamaha's concert stock at the SF Ballet.   Last year I complained about the piano was going downhill, after several years.   Yamaha, after getting quotes in the Bay Area, sent up Dave Reed.   He spent a weekend installing the pre-hung hammer, shank and flanges and going through the work.   A different piano.   I would think a 2004 CFIII could use the same thing.   If Yamaha sent a fellow for a couple of days, I would imagine all that can be done to those hammers has been done...you might try deep shoulder needling, 6 mm,  3 needles, at least 12 strikes, starting in the tenor and listen to the difference in tonal structure.   I find the predominance of high partials, which decay quickly, are reduced and fundamental/mid-range are brought forward.   Listen for the tone change to "above" the strings.   This is the projection you need.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044