[CAUT] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 12:33:43 MDT 2010

It is my understanding that the glue joint should be loose enough to maintain a thin film of glue when you insert the dowel.  If you notice the ready made dowels, they are made with ridges similar to knurling a hammer shank.  What you don't want is a "dry" fit.  Sometimes a perfect fit will become too tight due the wood swelling after glue is applied.  Looks like you did a logical and permanent repair.  Congratulations.

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician, School of Music
Southern Illinois University