[CAUT] damper return noise/una corda

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 7 13:34:29 MDT 2010

Yes, Wally Brooks showed us that trick a couple years ago.  Good reminder!

From:
Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
To:
caut at ptg.org
Date:
05/06/2010 11:10 PM
Re: [CAUT] damper return noise/una corda

On May 6, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Ed Foote wrote:

Yes,  something that has helped on problem pianos:
   I space the hammers so that on full una corda, the left edge of the
hammer is even with the outside edge of the left-hand wire. Then, very
lightly, file the left side of the crown so that on una corda, even though
all three strings are being struck, the left hand one is only very lightly
contacting the hammer.  Just enough so that all strings are vibrating
enough to help the wedges seat more rapidly. You get improved seating, and
a usable una corda.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

That sounds like a good compromise. I'll give it a try.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm