[CAUT] Capstan relocation questions

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sat May 8 09:42:04 MDT 2010

I'm getting ready to install my second set of the WNG composite reps and
wanted to get a sense of the current thinking about the interface
between the capstan and the rep heel. I'm interested in two things in
particular.

Angled or straight capstans? The original 20's vintage S&S A had angled
capstans of course, and I've read some references to this creating an
action ratio which varies throughout the keystroke. I tend to credit the
original designers with more thoughtfulness than they're sometimes given
credit for, as they had an awful lot of pianos (as well as time,
inclination and money) to experiment with. So part of me thinks that if
they used angled capstans they probably did it for a specific, well
thought out reason. Of course, the new WNG heels are not angled to
match, which might in itself be a good reason to go with non-angled
capstans. On my first set I used a 6º angle, arrived at by trial &
error, and this seemed to work out pretty well, but I'm wondering if
anybody has any good reasons to go with one system or the other.

The "magic line" at half-stroke: WNG is recommending using different
heels for the sharps to maintain this, but I'm a little concerned about
how this will actually feel in the finished action. After all, pianists
have spent the past three centuries getting used to slightly different
touch characteristics between sharps and naturals, and I want this
action to feel good, not unusual. The only other time I did this I set
the magic line up for the naturals and let it go at that. It occurred to
me that it might be better to compromise between the naturals and
sharps, or else go with the two different heels. Has anybody used the
WNG system and been able to judge the results in the finished product?

Thanks,

- Mark