[CAUT] Capstan relocation questions

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sun May 9 08:14:08 MDT 2010

Many thanks, Ron - your insight is much appreciated. As to your last
point, my concern is whether this will feel noticeably different to a
concert level pianist. I may decide, from a purely technical point of
view, that identical ratios between sharps and naturals are preferable,
but that doesn't necessarily make the pianist happy. It does seem
perfectly plausible to me that, given the physiological differences
between the individual fingers of the hand and the empirical origins and
long history of the keyboard (and the compositions written for it) that
there might actually be a compelling argument in favor of differing
ratios. What I'm wondering is simply whether or not pianists have
noticed the difference between these two setups and whether their
reaction was favorable or not.

- Mark