[CAUT] Capstan relocation questions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun May 9 19:39:00 MDT 2010

Well I have set up different capstan lines for sharps and naturals in order
to try and match action ratios.  Remember, of course, that if you need to
set up different capstan positions for the sharps and naturals in order to
get the overall action ratios to match it will not be enough to simply
create positions that result in equal key ratios.  You will have to take
into consideration the different interface on the wippen lever as well and
the combined effect of the two.  Anyway, when they have differed I have
generally found that the key ratios were not hugely different: maybe .5 to
.52.  Enough that you would end up with two different front weight curves,
one for the sharps and one for the naturals, if you are doing it that way.
But, as I mentioned, I haven't found that to be a real problem in terms of
pianist perception.  Usually, if the key ratios are off and you try and fix
them with an uneven capstan line then you will have some other compromise
somewhere else in terms of convergence lines and such.  In these cases there
usually isn't a perfect solution no matter which way you go.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com