[CAUT] selling my customers down the river

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Sun May 9 19:47:17 MDT 2010

Hi Ben, I think you tuned my piano in Hayward in the mid/early 70s. Didn't
you start with Michael? The blind tuner.

I have paid at least that and more for referals from a store. My mentor
charges that much  to the tuners in his area that he sends clients. If I did
not manage to connect with the client and schedule, the fee was not charged.
It's an honor system at best. Most of your trusted clients will take your
recommendation and use the new tuner. Some will like their friends piano
tuner. I would take every one on your list if I had to pay when the tuning
was scheduled. You need to find somebody who is starting out and doesn't
have a large client list. The others will let you toss the clients back in
the river because they will hook their share.
Keith