[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun May 9 20:02:36 MDT 2010

On May 9, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> A few years ago Pure Sound wire was being promoted as suitable for
> use on S & S M pianos.
> Has anyone tried it?
> Have you had breakage problems?
> Thank you.
>
> Ed Sutton

	I experimented with Pure Sound on a B a couple summers ago (piano in
a classroom). I will be restringing the treble sections (capo) this
summer. Far, far too much breakage. Tenor is great, and does sound
noticeably better (well, it's subtle, but better - clarity and
sustain, as well as a better inharmonicity match, and F2 area tunes
much more easily). But the breakage in the capo section has been
nearly 50%, compared to maybe as much as 5% (mostly much less) in
pianos with standard wire. No broken strings (so far) in the tenor (up
to C#5).
	I should note that I did use the extra strong wire as recommended as
well as recommended scaling.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu