[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 10 11:38:18 MDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Peter Sumner wrote:

> I guess I'm wondering why folks are experimenting?
> Isn't it the responsibility of technicians to follow established
> working procedures....?...especially in an institution where budgets
> are limited, the work load horrendous and where enthusiasm sometimes
> trumps technical abilities.

How can you learn if you don't experiment? With respect to Pure Sound,
I experimented in hopes of better tone quality and reduction of rust,
meaning easier to rend wire (better tunability).
	Not all institutions are horrendous in all respects. I have enough
budget that it will not have a noticeable impact if some experiments
go wrong. Those that lead to positive things more than make up for the
negative.
	I grant that enthusiasm not based on physical skill, experience, and
a good sense of the larger picture can lead to waste of resources and
often quite negative results. Which is where a list like this can be
very helpful. It suggests avenues that seem promising, and provides
the shared experiences of others so we can avoid pitfalls. I suspect
there will be far fewer experiments with Pure Sound in the high
trebles following this discussion.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu