[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Richard Murphy rmurphy at siue.edu
Mon May 10 12:07:55 MDT 2010

I have restrung 2 pianos with Pure Sound ala Juan MasCabre¹s scales.  The
first was a B from the Œ70¹s and I had breakage problems from C4 up, usually
one or two strings each season.  The other piano was a Baldwin C from the
early 30¹s in which I shortened the scale in the treble C8 is 46mm, and I
have had some breakage there but not as much.  When I contacted Juan about
this problem and discussed it with him I got the impression that the
inharmonic of his wire is lower because it is stronger and can be tuned at
higher breaking %¹s.  His scales bring the Pure Sound to near 75%.  The
tunings stabilize much quicker, but string breakage is unacceptable.
Richard