[CAUT] Subject: Re: Pure Sound Wire

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon May 10 15:43:10 MDT 2010

Ron, Others,

It won't work on an S. Trust me...

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 3:46 PM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Subject: Re: Pure Sound Wire

Adkins, Richard wrote:
> So what brand of wire is Steinway using in the factory
> if not Mapes?

I have no idea. I also haven't seen a recent S, so I don't
know if they shortened the treble scale. I do know that a
number of people have posted to the lists through the years
complaining that they can't get their restring up to pitch in
the last octave without breaking strings, and they typically
report a C-8 length of 57mm and longer.

So the message is, if someone wants to string an S with Pure
Sound, it would behoove them to measure the speaking lengths
and calculate break% before they attempt it.
Ron N