[CAUT] Subject: Re: Pure Sound Wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 10 21:18:55 MDT 2010

Ed Sutton wrote:
> I wonder if what is happening with Pure Sound wire involves something
> other than the usual measure of breakpoint under tension. It seems that
> the wire tends to crack or fracture at bending points, such as back of
> the hitch pin, bridgepins and tuning pin.

Something in addition to, I'd say. On the plus side, we have
rust free, a perceived somewhat better tone, and no need to
stretch, lift, settle, and finesse. In the ? category, we have
a presumed lower inharmonicity, which is ??? In the negative
column, we have a regimen of hammer manipulation approach,
lubrication, touchy installation procedure, low tensile
strength, with the resultant apparent propensity for
spontaneous random breakage at any nominal stress point in
perpetuity, as well as the need to stock two types of wire
forevermore. Seems to me that Bob Barker would go broke
offering this choice to the studio audience.

As a gesture of respect to Bob, and a concession to my own
minimal standards of rationale, I'll continue to decline the
use of the wire, pending resolution of all the indicated
negative aspects, and an endorsement from Mr Barker.
Ron N