[CAUT] Communication

Allan Gilreath, RPT allangilreath at bellsouth.net
Tue May 11 05:42:52 MDT 2010

Good morning all,

I regret that this is not a more technical post and would prefer that
these type of discussions remain on the proper list.  As a contract tech
for a college and several school systems as well as numerous churches, I
have been directly involved in the process of working with Institutions
for many year and have a personal as well as professional interest in
the matter.

The item regarding  CAUT endorsement was referred back to committee by
last year's Council, not tabled. Additionally, I appointed a task force
to study the feasibility of a broader Institutional Technician
designation and course of study.

At this point, the Volunteer and Professional staffs of PTG are working
to migrate our information and website over to a new process that will
give unprecedented access to the individual members and the membership
as a whole. Details concerning this process are detailed in the Council
books that were sent to Chapter Presidents and Delegates and are
available in the members' portion of www.ptg.org.  In particular, this
new system will allow extensive collaboration and social networking for
the members as well as enhanced presentation of the education and
marketing materials that have been developed, are being developed and
will be developed.

When it comes to consultants, we retain various professionals in various
fields as the needs of the time dictate. It's important to remember that
any time we retain someone's professional services, we receive
particular goods and services or receive advise from them. What we do
with those goods, services or advise is entirely up to us.

I remember, some years ago, a teacher whom I highly revere, stating that
he made a conscious decision to stay out of the "politics" of PTG. These
days, "politics" seems to be a dirty word and I tend to think of myself
as a technician, an entrepreneur and a teacher long before I think along
the line of politics. So, to that end, I decided to look up the term
"politics." According to Wikipedia, "Politics is a process by which
groups of people make collective decisions." So, the process of making
decisions is up to each and every one of us so I hope that more people
find it valuable and positive to participate in Council at the PTG
Convention this summer, speak their minds on the PTG-L list and step
forward to participate and contribute.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve,

Allan
Allan Gilreath, RPT