[CAUT] turbo wips

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:38:06 MDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 8:04 AM, Mark Dierauf wrote:

> Kent -
>
> I am getting ready to order these myself. When you say that they were too stiff, do you mean the springs themselves or the adjusters?

The springs themselves. The spring was so stiff that moving the wipp from at rest to the "held note" position would cause too great a difference in the strength of the spring. I couldn't see how to adjust the spring for less change in spring strength through the key stroke.

> What "vintage" are you talking about?

Early.

> were they the newest iteration with the hard bushings?

No.

> I was told last fall that the regular spade tipped adjusting screws wouldn't work and that they were using an Allen set screw instead and supplying a special tool for the adjustment.

Right. I had to make my own.

> Is this what you had? What exactly was the problem when you say the the loops were positioned much too low?

David Stanwood explained the problem perfectly in another post. You want a right angle between spring and loop, one way or the other.

When I gave up on using the WNG springs, Mark B told me they would "see what we can do" about a redesign. I haven't heard any more since.

Kent