[CAUT] clicking shanks

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue May 11 10:08:59 MDT 2010

Hi Todd,

What an odd problem!  It sounds like someone did something drastic in
the past.  Were the hammers replaced with something way too short?  Or
have they been filed down to a nub?  Has the action stack been shimmed
up for some reason?  Are the glides jacking the action way up?  Or
maybe it's not the original pin block?

I'd check all of these and anything else you can think of to see if
the action has been modified somehow.  If so, it might be easier to
fix that than to do more modifications.

Good luck,

Chris

On May 11, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Todd Loomis wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am not a CAUT, but follow your list for helpful ideas.
> Recently I encountered a Bosendorfer grand of about 30-year vintage
> and noticed a strange hard click when a couple of the bass notes
> were played.  Upon investigation, it turned out that the shanks were
> striking the underside of the pin block!  Others seem very close to
> striking as well.  My feeling is that this piano always had close
> tolerances and that with hammer wear the already small gap was
> closed.  It may also be possible that at some point the glides were
> moved down, raising the action a small amount.
> So far, short of hammer replacement, I have two ideas for a fix.  I
> could shave the pinblock corner if the plate flange allows it, or I
> could see if moving the action away from the player a fraction in
> the bass would provide the necessary clearance.
> Has anyone encountered this situation before, and what would you do
> about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd Loomis
>
> Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign
> up now.

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician
School of Music, Ohio University