[CAUT] CAUT seminar? was Re: Preaching to the choir

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu May 13 07:52:48 MDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 8:32 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> From my perspective it sounds like Allan is trying to encourage the
> CAUT Committee to look at the possibility of putting on a seminar,
> using PTG resources. But it sound like you're using all sorts of
> excuses why this won't happen, unless the CAUT becomes it's own
> entity. I hope that isn't the case.

	Not necessarily. In fact, I could easily see doing a couple/few
initial seminars with centralized PTG resources. However, over a long
term, I don't think it would be viable politically. What I am talking
about is an intensive training program, modeled in many ways on the
Steinway academy and Little Red Schoolhouse: hands on, severely
limited enrollment (as described in the caut endorsement proposal). I
think this could be done in such a way as to pay for itself, if it is
done "lean and mean." But I suspect that expenditure of organizational
resources on a program that "benefits such a small number of members"
would not be sustainable politically over the long haul.
	"CAUT becoming its own entity" is a bit of an overstatement. What I
envision is an entity within an entity, working just like a chapter or
regional body. Chapters and regional bodies do an extraordinary job of
providing training opportunities beyond what the central organization
can do. Many of them operate in a very different manner, in terms of
providing expenses and honoraria for instructors. The classes
developed at regionals are often the best classes offered at nationals
- but many never make it to national because of constraints of budget.
	I am simply trying to be practical. It takes money to do worthwhile
things. There is a limited willingness to expend resources of the
entire organization on activities focused on a minority of the
membership. So I believe the minority should organize itself, raise
its own money (dues like a chapter), and take responsibility for
funding its activities.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu