[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement Requirements Misperception - was Preaching to the Choir

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri May 14 16:57:42 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,
I enjoyed reading your comments. I think you are exactly spot on. You're exactly right about all your continuing education and experience adding up to the equivalent of a doctorate. I don't see how another PTG sponsored credential is going to improve the lives of CAUTs. It might get colleges higher "credentialled" techs for the same money as non-credentialed ones, but that says nothing about the actual skill level. We'll still be facing graveyard work schedules and low pay.

However, a union type of approach will never work. For one, there are too few of us to be effective as a union. Second, there are too many "right to work" states (whatever that means -- right to work without decent pay, I guess), including my state of SC. State employees here are not allowed to be members of any union. There's a state employees association, but its really pretty ineffective outside a lobbyist or two at the statehouse. That's why I've never tried to imply that we needed to become a union.

And, don't forget, you make less than they do PROBABLY because you're what we in South Carolina call a "classified employee". That means that human resources has put your job into a very broad job classification which includes some language on education, experience in the field, employee supervision, etc. If you will read that job classification, you will see that there is no way to interpret it in such a way that a human resources department can adjust your salary if you have an endorsement from the PTG, RPT or otherwise, or from any other organization other than a government certification, IF that.

Like has been mentioned, it makes much more sense to me for PTG to have a marketing approach which encourages diversity in training opportunities. If a CAUT endorsement were to exist, it MUST focus on diversity, much like faculty search committees like to see diversity in education and performance.  The "only if we approve it" approach is just going to look foolish and self-serving, and won't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to credibility.

Such a marketing approach might include some sort of language that suggests that you're not going to get a high end technician like you're looking for for what you have been paying and what you see other colleges paying. Some of you guys are extremely gifted with language, and can word it far better than I ever could.

Properly marketed, music faculties and administrators who see the value of a diversely trained candidate would have to petition human resources for a more appropriate job classification, or declassification of the position.  Also properly marketed, hopefully techs with high level skills will find the courage to turn down job offers with low pay.

One other angle has also been presented over the years. The complaint has been made that there is a lack of qualified applicants for these advertisements. Maybe a push for high skilled techs to APPLY for these jobs and give decent salary requirements in cover letters could effect some pretty quick change.

Just some more thoughts
Jeff