[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement Requirements Misperception - was Preachingto the Choir

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri May 14 17:08:09 MDT 2010

Hi Bill,
If things have changed since I was on the committee (and I admit to not having followed if any changes have occurred), then, no, I'm pretty familiar with the list of subject material that will be covered on the 4 written tests. It occurred to me then, and now, that the number of classes required to be taken before one could take the exams will be substantial, and even if each participant attended every regional and national at a cost of $1200 to $1500 each, it could potentially take 10 years to cover all the material on the 4 exams.

But the primary focus of my argument is that this is a backwards approach to salary improvement, and will never achieve it. My debate follows exactly what Ed Foote wrote. If there is no market for higher skills, they will not be rewarded.

I am also 100% in opposition to including historical instrument tuning and maintenance in a CAUT endorsement from PTG. The reasons are that 1.) 100% of CAUT situations are understaffed (most grossly so) for the modern pianos alone, and adding historical instruments to the burden of the piano technician takes away from the primary job responsibilities, which means his real work isn't getting done. 2.) Historical keyboard players HAVE to, and usually do learn how to do the tuning and maintenace themselves.  Unless the piano to technician workload is below 40:1, I am of the conviction that historical instruments should NOT be a part of the job responsibilities of the piano technician at a university. We are not the Harpsichord Technicians Guild, and without such title, really have no credibility to credential historical instrument tuning and maintenance in the first place. I stand firm in my belief that any CAUT endorsement should only address tuning and maintenance of modern pianos, which is 99.9% of the work that is needed to be done in all universities, and which is the primary focus of the Piano Technicians Guild.

That doesn't mean I am opposed to a piano technician possessing some historical instrument skills. I actually learned quite a bit myself as a student assistant to the piano technician in college. I found it interesting and am proud that I possess some skill in that area. It means I don't think it is appropriate (a better word here would be great - I'm supposed to be picking up a pizza right now) to require a piano technician to have them in order to be credentialed to service modern pianos at a university. I tuned a harpsichord maybe 5 times in 10 years at USC. I could have offered to do it much more often, but that only would have resulted in my becoming expected to do all the harpsichord work while the 125 modern pianos were going to hell in a handbasket, and my salary would never have been adjusted upward because of it.  I just think it's crossing into someone else's job description, whether or not that person exists on the faculty.

Gotta run,
Jeff