[CAUT] Guillain Barre syndrome

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat May 15 12:26:41 MDT 2010

Starting April 27, I experienced a rare variety of it, called Miller
Fisher Syndrome.

Came on like a house afire, seriously scary.

The docs got the approved treatment into me in time. (Flooding the
system with immunoglobulins to derail the autoimmune process.)

Following some immune challenge, often unknown, sometimes even a flu
shot, one's own immune system gets confused and starts attacking the
myelin sheath around one's nerves as if it were foreign. Sudden
onset, like MS on steroids, but eventually almost everyone recovers.
The worst people are completely paralyzed and need a ventilator.

Luckily not me. I'm home, probably for quite awhile. Friends have
come through for me in a big way. I have responded very well to
treatment, with small improvements every day. Eyesight looks to be
the most difficult part. Worse with this type than the usual form.

Jim Coleman, Sr. has been a constant inspiration to me through this
process, as I remembered how he fought Guillain Barre and came out
the other side, with perfect courage and joy at being alive.

May none of you get this damned thing.

Jeff Hickey has been standing in for my concert work (thank heavens.)
As soon as I'm fit, I can start in again about where I left off,
minus some unknown number of months or maybe a year?

Susan Kline