[CAUT] Professional Development

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat May 15 13:24:28 MDT 2010

Wim, this goes back to the education and marketing. Somehow, we've got to get out the message that the skills to fix up an old Wurlitzer spinet are worth 2 to 3 times what universities want to pay for high level concert and rebuilding skills, and at some point this reality will need to be addressed if universities aren't getting the skill level of applicants for their piano technician job openings.
Jeff

Wim writes:

  Not to put a damper on your idea, which does sound like a great idea, but..... what will it do for the individual technician other than self satisfaction? No matter how much training we get, even if we can put another couple of letters behind our name, or knowing that we have taken a couple of courses and perhaps scored well on a couple of tests, getting the aditional credentials will not make much difference in our income, much less have an impact on school administrators or our customers.