[CAUT] Professional Development

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sun May 16 19:35:18 MDT 2010

This is very good, Wim....a must read.  Basic PTG marketing.

Bill

In a message dated 5/15/2010 2:52:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tnrwim at aol.com writes:

Wim, this goes back to the education and  marketing. Somehow, we've got to
get out the message that the  skills to fix up an old Wurlitzer spinet are
worth 2 to 3 times what  universities want to pay for high level concert and
rebuilding skills,  and at some point this reality will need to be addressed
if universities  aren't getting the skill level of applicants for their
piano technician job  openings.
Jeff

Jeff

It all comes down to what's important for a university. There are some
schools that have recognized the importance of having a skilled technician, or
two, on staff, to do that. But for a lot of schools, keeping the pianos at
maximum performance level just isn't important enough for  them to pay more
than the minimum, much less provide a budget for  replacement parts.

I agree that the PTG needs to be much more pro-active to let schools know
about the importance of hiring qualified technicians, and how much they
should  be paid. We need to do that by sending our information to them on a
regular basis. Just like in the private sector, an effective method of getting
customers is with what is called the "7 hit rule". A customer needs to be
informed about a product or service 7 times before that customer takes
action.  In other words, the PTG can't just send out a brochure once, and expect
all  the music schools to instantly start hiring. We need to send out this
information twice a year for 3 or 4 years before we can expect for that
information finally starts to sink in.
The other place where this information needs to be distributed is in the
professional music magazines. I am a member of the ACDA (American Choral
Director's Association). There is also the AGO, MENC, etc, not to  mention the
professional organizations for all the other instruments, and  magazines
like Downbeat. These magazines are read by college and university  professors
and students.

I'm not talking about putting ads in these magazines that we pay for, or
if we're lucky to get the ads for free through a reciprocal agreements. What
we (someone) needs to do is  write articles about the importance of
maintaining instruments, etc., and the importance of hiring, and paying,
qualified technicians. I just recently wrote an article for the ACDA Journal  on the
importance of choral directors setting up appointments. I was told  it
might take a year for it to appear in print. This is how the PTG can  do a much
better job of educating the people who use our services the most.  Perhaps
we can members who belong to these various professional  organization to
write, or at least submit these  articles.

This is where The PTG need to spend more of our marketing energy and
money.

Wim