[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement Requirements Misperception - was Preachingto the ...

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon May 17 09:37:10 MDT 2010

Hey Bill,
Really good stuff there. I've got to get out myself this morning, so I'll try to give a brief reply.

Contrary to what most might perceive, I've never been against the idea of a CAUT endorsement. I just don't believe it will do anything to ever improve the compensation problem. But this proposal on the table is much, much too big. CAUT com has tried to make up the difference in the CAUT endorsement that we don't have with a rebuilder's and concert tech certificate. But I do not believe a CAUT endorsement alone is going to effect any kind of change or raise any bar. You made one statement in your previous email that nails it down. Low salaries have to be addressed, and it takes technicians having the guts to walk away from low paying jobs to raise the bar for each situation. Until the compensation problem is changed, no certification PTG can offer will have the effect of drawing interest from enough high skilled technicians to make a difference.

I am not convinced that the everyday CAUT needs to be the be-all-know-all. I'm more of the opinion that, yes, good solid tuning, voicing and regulation skills are necessary, but until workloads are addressed, all rebuilding should be farmed out to shops that specialize in rebuilding. Of course, there are going to be many who disagree with me, but you're not being honest with yourself if you think you can get it all done.  The guy who replaced me here is basically just doing rebuilding and taking care of the concert, piano faculty and piano majors pianos. The job description was changed after I left to only cover a certain number of pianos that are specifically identified. They're having to farm out all the tuning and maintenance of everything else (and it is NOT going to a PTG member). I think that's a backwards approach because the first funding that's going to get cut is the maintenance of everything else that's being contracted out. If you're still
 understaffed, you're much better off not having funding for a rebuild in tough budget years.

So, I am of the opinion that a caut endorsement should only cover somewhat advanced maintenance skills, procurement, inventory management, and the special political environment of music academia. The RPT exam is weighted heavily towards vertical rebuilding and repair, with only one section that deals directly with grand specific maintenance. Years ago, when we put high end verticals in universities, it made sense to spend time with vertical refurbishing skills. But with the cheap pianos of today having decent tone and touch, we can replace them cheaper than spending much maintenance resources other than tuning on them. So, bridge in bulk maintenance of heavily used grands, and require concert prep block certification, available separately through PTG. Rebuilding and historical instrument certifications should also be separate, and only be endorsed for CAUT responsibilities if and when workload is adequately staffed. Have each certificate
 holder sign an oath statement of commitment of effort towards continuing education.

The MAIN reason I am so opposed to this idea of the super technician is the simple reality that we all have different natural talents. Guys, we can't all be experts at everything. There is really a lot of truth to the idea that people who try to be experts at everything tend to be good at nothing. At UGA, Hines Ward was a quarterback, a running back, a wide receiver, and he returned kicks. But in the pros, he's had to focus on just one role, and it has made him one of the best receivers in all of pro football. If he'd tried to focus on the others, he wouldn't be a professional football player today.

I believe our Guidelines should be revised to reflect a base of 40 pianos per technician.  That is Steinway's base, and we've heard enough comments from respected technicians whose negative experience has backed that up. Any level of workload above 40 per full time tech should be described in a manner as to reflect the level of neglect that the institution can find acceptable, rather than the way we currently word it which enables the pursuit of mediocrity. Every music department's focus is on performance. For us to identify one as less deserving of adequate piano maintenance than another is for us to suggest that a student can't get a good education there. You suggest certification and marketing, but if we've created a guidelines and workload recommendation, then we've got to stand behind that as well. We speak out of two sides of our mouths if on one hand we say this is our recommendation, and then create this expectation of some mythical
 supertechnician who can supercede our recommendations.

I LOVE the idea of a CAUT brochure. Less expensive, simple, short and to the point. I haven't suggested it, but that is exactly what has been running around in the back of my mind during this whole discussion. For more information, visit the caut web site.

certification over education
Well, I certainly agree. But since we can't recognize other training porgrams then we are implying that we are the only viable source of educating the technicians and then certifying them based on our educational offerings. We MUST be able to certify other training paths without requiring the candidate to take our test. Otherwise we are implying that we actually do NOT recognize the validity of other training programs - that only our educational path can be validated. And in that reality we lose all credibility and any respect.

universal availability of good work
Yes, this is true. Probably the biggest reason I'm where I am now. I "couldn't" get enough work to do it full time where I was before. Well, maybe I didn't really want to? I really had faith that a CAUT job would have provided sufficient compensation in time. Like my dad who worked his way up and retired having worked with the same company 37 years, I learned that's what you're supposed to do. It's been very disappointing. But what this training path has done for me is validate my skills and I've been forced to learn how to build a business. That's something I didn't really try before. Nobody's phone is ringing right now. But now that the old techs have died where I'm from, that area is WIDE open for a piano tuner with skills.

What you said about younger techs with families. This is the segment I've always tried to stand up for. There are a few, but what I've seen is that younger techs with families are a very small minority of CAUTs (and I really don't see how they make ends meet without massive hours of moonlighting). What I've seen more of is older techs who are financially established enough to be able to afford to live on a lower income (and they still moonlight). They've mostly paid for their homes, either single for life, divorced, or if married, empty nesters and are now getting close to retirement mode, can't afford health insurance because of their age, and a supplementary retirement check in few years doesn't look like such a bad idea. Not all, but most. Certainly describes the guy who took my old job, and most of the techs I've chatted with across the country over the last 10 years or so.

I am going to suggest that you overestimate the number of full time institutional techs. Your estimate was 200ish. I'd be surprised if the actual number is much more than half that. There are maybe a baker's dozen full timers in all the southeast? FL - 5 or less, GA -2, SC-1, NC-3, TN-3?, MS-0, AL-0, LA-1, ARK-1?, VA-1?

Such a few is the biggest reason I'm skeptical that a credential from PTG is going to ever make a difference in earnings. If we were talking about 500 positions, it might have some effect. The CAUT endorsement is a good idea. But we don't need to circumvent the PTG with the CAUT endorsement alone. A block endorsement program is a much better idea because CAUT won't be responsible for the entire program.

Wrote more than I meant to, so I gotta get outta here.
Best,

Jeff