[CAUT] CAUT endorsement

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue May 18 10:45:33 MDT 2010

I think it's fair to say that every manufacturer gets their due.  Whether on
CAUT or Pianotech, many (if not all) of the major manufacturers have had
shots taken at them.  Yamaha certainly, particularly when it comes to their
small grands, and I'm sure a search would bring up many others, including
Bosey, Kawai, Baldwin, etc.  And, while there are undoubtedly more than just
Eric Schandall at NY who may not call Steinway "the best," "the world
standard," or other such lofty title, there are many that do   And, when you
do, you can expect to be held to that when something is substandard,
particularly if its chronic.

In addition, I don't know of any PTG sponsored classes on maintenance or
rebuilding instruction on ANY particular brand "as is taught by" that brands
reps.  Yamaha sends their reps, Kawai too.  The bulk of the general class
offerings are just that, general.  We're exploring all the techniques out
there for rebuilding, regulation, maintenance, etc., applicable to whatever
piano you see fit.  I think this is more a symptom of the fact that S&S are
among the very few brands that are profitable to rebuild.  If we could all
spec rebuild Yamaha's and sell them for a profit, you'd see these techniques
applied there as well.  Don't you agree?  Similarly not suggested as
better/worse or with any disrespect.

William R. Monroe