[CAUT] Bore distances for Steinway L

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu May 27 12:54:45 MDT 2010

 Ok, I might be confused:

paul said
The key level and dip is factoryperfect, I've got the proper blow distance of 1.75". I can't get letoff any closer than 1/4"!! The rebuild was done right and the plate isthe same height as before.  I've even tried to raise the blow a bit,and still can't get it to let off correctly. The frame is perfectlybedded.  The wips are old, but in pretty good shape.

then later posts:

>>The buttons are original and plentyof room both up and down compared to the rail.

Is the problem that you run out of keydip before going through escapement?  If so, you have too much leverage in the action.  I would recheck the knuckle to center pin distance.  This sounds like 17 mm shanks being put on a whip/key assembly that works with a 16 mm.

>>I decreased the blow a bit, increased the dipa bit.

How much is too much of either? <

Your dip will be limited by your sharps.  They can't bury under the keytops, and they can't be much more than .500" above them.  Set them .5" over the naturals, then set the deepest dip possible and raise then raise the blow until you have the amount of aftertouch you need.  If it is too high, you will need to change the ratio,(either capstans or knuckles)

>>Ican't raise the bass hammers any farther or I won't be able to get theaction in or out.

If the shanks are more than 3/8" off the rest cushions, you risk catastrophic action failure, so there are other limits on shortening blow besides action clearance.
Regards,

Ed Foote