[CAUT] Bore distances for Steinway L

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 27 13:11:32 MDT 2010

Hi Ed,

What I mean is, say you have a 3 inch hammer with a 2” bore, you’ll have a 1” tail. If Paul’s bore is 2  1/8 then the tail is 7/8. Longer bore, shorter tail. That’s all I meant. And on some Steinways that I’ve had to raise the stack on you couldn’t bore the hammers right to make up the difference in this distance w/o having an even shorter tail. Stack is simply too low. Make sense? Or am I just too close to memorial day weekend and my brain has shut down… <G>

True story. A D came from the factory and the shanks were slightly more than two shanks width off the rail. Could not get the thing to work w/o the hammers that far off, or tweaking something else as bad.  Ron Coners said “just raise the stack”. I did. It worked.

Best,
Jim