[CAUT] Hand, arm and neck pain

Daniel Schreffler invader1 at cableone.net
Sat May 29 06:50:41 MDT 2010

Thank you Diane,
I will look into this.
Dan SchrefflerRPT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diane Hofstetter
  To: pianotech at ptg.org ; College and University Technicians
  Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 23:15
  Subject: [CAUT] Hand, arm and neck pain

  Maybe this will help some others on our lists:

  I have been suffering from pain in my keyboard hand, arm, neck and upper back for several years now.  It kept me from sleeping and drove me to the ibuprofen many many days, just to get through.  I was always tired and in pain.  I tried an MD, a sports medicine MD, an Osteopath, trigger point therapy from Claire Davies books, Biofreeze (mentioned on these lists).....

  Last week I worked a health fair. At the health fair there was a young oriental woman, a massage therapist, who had something called Kinesio tape.   I went to her near the end of the fair and she massaged and taped my left arm.  I thought she would wrap it around my wrist, like my MD wanted, but no, she laid it along some muscles in my arm, just above the elbow and down to the wrist.

  She told me to keep it on for five days.   I tuned four pianos, laid one down on a tilter to put CA glue into the pinblock and epoxy into the soundboard cracks, then picked it up again.   Went grocery shopping, carried the bags of groceries into the house, the laundry to the laundramat and back, etc, etc.

  No pain!   Even at night, when my left arm sometimes became so painful that I couldn't sleep.  No running for the Ibuprofen.   I am looking forward to going back to her.  She charges $35 for a massage and taping session of 1/2 hour.  I cannot believe the difference it made.

  Here is a short video I found about Kinesio taping: http://www.kinesiotaping.com/video.html

  Diane Hofstetter