[CAUT] Hand, arm and neck pain ... Keep it on topic please!

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat May 29 13:46:21 MDT 2010

I agree. Pain is too often part of this line of work (like hearing
damage), so anything said about it and how to deal with it is not off
topic, in my opinion.

Having just gone through a major medical crisis, I was glad that the
MD's were there, even though I had carefully avoided them for several
decades. We need to make a firm division in our minds over what MD's
cannot do at all, what they do poorly, what they do well, and what is
crucial which cannot be done by anyone else. (No doubt, like getting
Doug Wood's fractures resolved after his terrible bike accident.)
Certainly, doing the testing on me, and getting the immunoglobulins
into me in time to stop the ongoing rapidly progressing nerve damage
was an MD thing, and I was darned glad the neurologist was there and
did the necessary without delay.

The more we can do for ourselves, or get from alternative medical
people (like taping and massage for muscle pain) the less we will
overspend for conventional medical treatment, which often is not
appropriate anyway. Luckily the days seem to be over when the doctor
was presumed to know everything, we were presumed to know nothing
about avoiding illness and injury, and doctors had to pretend to be
able to fix everything, whether they knew how to or not.

If one can find a doc one likes, that's half the battle. The other
half is to do everything in our own power to heal and preserve and
maintain our bodies. Certainly after age 60 this becomes both harder
and more crucial.

Susan Kline (now convalescing, but the neuropathy in hands and
partial paralysis of eye muscles from Miller Fisher Syndrome are very
stubborn.)