[CAUT] nasty overtone?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 30 16:35:20 MDT 2010

Peter Sumner wrote:
> Quite simply, to answer a technician who has not fit a
> hammer to a string properly, with a diatribe about how the
> duplex is the scourge of the universe and should be ground
> down, is nuts and should be condemned by all......

Peter,
Would it follow, then, that Ed Foote (or any of the many many
past posters dealing with front duplex noises, including
myself) doesn't know how to fit a hammer to a string properly?
I don't think that exactly equates. The fact is that
hammer/string fitting doesn't always get it. I gave Daniel the
benefit of the doubt that he had tried the simple basic
things, and still had a problem. The fact that tuned front
duplexes are inherently problematic ought to be evident in a
forum where it comes up so regularly, as well as in real world
pianos on a regular basis. Scourge of the universe? That's a
bit much even for you. The suggestion I offered for the pitch
lock has been reported by many to be a very effective fix when
the simple basic things don't make the problem go away. Most
techs don't have the time to do more than simple leveling,
fitting, and voicing at the problem duplex segment with a
tuning. When that doesn't make the noise go away, it's nice to
have an easy and effective alternative.

Ron N