[CAUT] Furniture, (was Fortepiano)

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 04:23:20 MDT 2010

Ron writes:

>>Strikes me as a lot of blood wasted yet again. Isn't "furniture" the "F" word in the keyboard instrument professional's vocabulary?

     "F" is for finances.  Being professional means money, and many customer$ see the piano as musical furniture. The real pianists  place the emphasis on action and tone, but most pianos are not owned by such persons.   It is harder to sell a fine piano with a rough case than it is to sell a beautifully finished, flat-board, worn out, rosewood relic.
      We ignore the cosmetic at our own loss, since owners can usually be sold a refinishing job before a new soundboard.  They may only play the piano once a week, but they see it in the living room every day, and will be inclined to have its appearance match the rest of the furnishings.  So,  the technician, if inclined, can make almost as much with a touch-up kit as they can with a tuning fork.  I heard an older tech once say that he could make more with his vacuum cleaner than with his hammer.

I wish I was asked about voicing as often as I am about polish.........
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT