[CAUT] another old PSO

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Sep 1 16:55:36 MDT 2010

Hi all,

Just went to a usual customer with a beautiful 9'2" Bluthner at a church -
3 years old which I love to take care of.  the pastor's sister asked me to
check out her DH Baldwin about 25 years old and its a POS or PSO as you
may wish to term it.  She is willing to spend thousands on it rather than
getting a new piano as $4-5K is better than $15K for  a new PSO.

What do I tell her?.  Its a DH Baldwin, somebody filed the hammers off
flat, somebody else ruined the shanks, the hammer bushings are shot, it
barely plays, etc.

Is it toast, or would $4-5K fix it if she reallyy wants to keep this thing
as she's very attached to it? The geometry is way out, and you
know....it's a mid '80's Samick.  I didn't check the action brackets, or
anything really...I just wanted to leave! I just looked for free and told
her I would get back to her with some good techs in the not so near area
(there are none) that might have time to do this sort of thing.  I'm too
busy at UNL to handle this sort of thing, and our director would not look
nicely on my bringing in a "stray" piano from the wilderness
unless.......$$$$$ donated to the SOM (maybe then, so) this is an "In
Shop" project, to be sure.

Is it worth it? Believe me the Bluthner is my favorite in NE!  If you were
a mechanic working on Fords, would you drive 1.5 hours to work on a
Ferrari? what a fantasic piano! I LOVE working on this piano. It's my
favorite in the state! It might truely be the best piano in NE.

Best, Paul