[CAUT] Nice inside-the-action-cavity camera work

Wiliam Ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Fri Sep 3 06:21:21 MDT 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:09 PM, Mark Dierauf wrote:

> Really? I've looked for it and it doesn't seem to have been
> released in the states yet. All I've been able to find are the
> official trailer and a couple of short clips. As soon as it is
> available though, I'll push to have the piano majors all see it.
> How did you manage to see it? In a theater or on dvd?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331115/releaseinfo , for theatrical
release; nothing listed under "DVD Details". Googling "Pianomania DVD
Release" and the only solid lead I see is Amazon selling a Russian
release of the same name, but R5 and PAL. The DVD region should be no
obstacle, but the conversion from PAL to NTSC always reduces video
quality.

I don't mess with the file-share nets, but someone who does may find
it already posted.

As to the optics, what with today's miniaturization, a simple lens
system with a digital video capture module and a fiber optic cable
for data out would do it. Lighting requirements and lens system
complexity would be minimal, considering that with dv, depth-of-field
and (to a certain extent) "available light" are non-issues. Remember,
the camera position is static and the frame speed is ~30 fps, not hi-
speed video's 3000 fps.

Bill Ballard