[CAUT] CAUT Digest, Vol 23, Issue 23

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 10 07:14:31 MDT 2010

Chris-

I have played the big Mason & Hamlin with the carbon fiber shanks.

My sense was that it gave me more power and control than I usually have.

I felt the sound was brighter than I like. What surprised me was that within
that brightness, there was a range of timbre that I could control easily.
The clarity and promptness of attack reminded me, in an odd way, of playing
a clavichord. This may be another way of saying the sustain begins sooner.

Bruce Clark said these qualities were definitely the result of the new
action parts, the piano sounded different with wooden action parts. He also
said the "edge" would be mellowed in a large hall, that he intended this to
be a piano for a big auditorium.

My sense is that Bruce prefers a brighter sound than I like, or that this is
his choice for M & H's in the showroom. He said an attempt to offer a choice
of warmer voicing had not been well-received by dealers.

I really like the promptness of response in the carbon fiber shanks. I would
hope that for me, and for smaller pianos and rooms, the sound can be
mellowed.

Ed Sutton