[CAUT] Fw: [AMIS-L] Fwd: LOST INSTRUMENT

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Sat Sep 11 10:31:01 MDT 2010

Begin forwarded message:

  From: "Tom Beghin, Prof." <tom.beghin at mcgill.ca>
  Date: September 11, 2010 8:23:53 AM EDT
  Subject: LOST INSTRUMENT

  Dear Friends of Musical Instruments,

  During the last few weeks, I've been hoping that I wouldn't have to write this message, but now feel I can wait no longer.

  The photograph attached to this message is a 2007 replica by Chris Maene of a square piano by the Viennese maker Ignaz Kober (1788).  (A unique piece of craftsmanship, I used it in my Haydn recordings, issued by Naxos last year.)  Six weeks ago, this instrument was shipped from Brussels, Belgium, back to my home in Montreal, QC, Canada.  But the crate never reached its destination.  Security images at the Brussels airport show the instrument being loaded onto an Air Canada aircraft from Brussels to Montreal, but TNT Express, the transport company, has lost all traces of it on this side of the ocean.

  Wrongly delivered, discarded, stolen?  Nothing can be excluded at this point.

  May I ask you to be on the look-out?  Maybe, just maybe (though I still find it hard to imagine), the instrument will turn up for sale somewhere.

  Feel free to spread the word, by forwarding this message to any of your own contacts.

  If the instrument turns up in Montreal after all, I'll let you know immediately.

  Thank you!

  Tom Beghin

  Associate Professor
  Schulich School of Music
  of McGill University
  555 Sherbrooke Street West
  Montreal, QC H3A 1E3
  tel. (514) 398-4535, ext. 00304 (office); (514) 488-7247 (home)
  fax (514) 398-8061
  tom.beghin at mcgill.ca

Kathryn L. Libin
Associate Professor of Music
Chair, Department of Music
Vassar College
845-437-7320

--- AMIS-L is a free Listserv email list service provided by the American Musical Instruments Society (AMIS) and the University of Kentucky School of Music as a service to members of AMIS and its allied organizations. You may leave the list at any time by sending the command "SIGNOFF AMIS-L" in the body of a message to LISTSERV at LSV.UKY.EDU. Any questions regarding your list membership or technical problems should be addressed to the moderator at: dwight.newton at uky.edu.