[CAUT] Music in Ancient China

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 15 09:45:59 MDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 9:35 AM, James Patrick Draine wrote:

>  the field of early China texts, history, and archaeology ((in which
> field I do dabble: BA in anthropology, archaeology concentration, MA
> in Chinese, mostly focussed in late Zhou dynasty texts and history)

Hi Patrick,
	Have you investigated the often repeated claim that ET division of
the octave into 12 parts was an early Chinese invention? I have read a
few sources that make it seem that the claim is far less
straightforward than it has been made to seem, and would be interested
in an account by someone who knows what he is talking about.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain