[CAUT] Music in Ancient China

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:33:43 MDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 10:28 AM, James Patrick Draine wrote:

> Joseph Needham compiled a massive encyclopedia (really an entire
> series of books) on science and inventions in China over the
> centuries. Your university probably has a copy of this particular
> volume.

Thanks, Patrick. As it happens, I have a certain amount of familiarity
with ancient China myself, having cobbled together a major in college
I called Comparative Greek and Chinese Classical Studies. So I am well
aware of Needham's massive work, and I believe it is the original
source of the claim that the Chinese "invented equal temperament."
Murray Barbour wrote one sentence noting this:
"The first known appearance in print of the correct
figures for equal temperament was in China, where Prince Tsai-
yu's brilliant solution remains an enigma^ since the music of China
had no need for any sort of temperament."
	I believe many people writing subsequently simply relied on Barbour,
and repeated this in a less precise way. From what I have gathered, it
was more a matter of mathematics than anything else, and it had to do
with ritualistic matters, something to do with creating a set of
temple bells (whether real or simply designed), tuned correctly so
that they mirrored "heaven." But that is about as far as the sources I
have read have got me. Perhaps it is far enough, as I haven't troubled
to dig deeper.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu