[CAUT] Hammer shank cutting block

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 18 05:40:16 MDT 2010

Ted-

For a long time I used this tool as shown, with a large pull saw, cutting toward the hammer head. This required some care to avoid slicing the hammer felt.
Lately I've realized that with a smaller saw, I can cut with the saw facing away from the hammer head, and can usually cut the shank in two pulls without risk of cutting the hammer felt.
It may be possible to redesign the tool to provide better support for this, with a supporting groove on the tail side of the shank and feet that reach around to rest on the flange rail.

Ed Sutton