[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Sat Sep 18 10:40:05 MDT 2010

This is an interim report on the thread I started back on August 23rd
(below).

Thank you to everyone who contributed; truly appreciated.  Your comments
encouraged me to read and study various materials concerning touchweight and
action geometry, and my understanding has gone to another level.

I learned at least in a primitive way to perform some touchweight analysis
by measuring DW and UW, then calculating Friction and BW.  Interestng!  I've
analyzed every note of a well-working Bluthner action, and learned a ton!

Now, back to the Steinway.  I am starting to conclude that the problem is
stemming from the capstan-to-wippen heel cushion relationship.  (Remember,
original repetitions 40 yrs old with new H/S/F.)  After re-checking key
friction, hammer flange pinning, etc., I changed out a couple original reps
for new ones from another job.  Here are the results:

Note            DW  UW  F   BW
F69-orig rep    69  33  36  102
F69-new rep     57  33  24   90

Careful study and comparison of the repetitions shows that the new cushions
are about 1mm proximal compared to the originals.  Also, the originals are
rather indented, since this piano had 40 years of gospel music played on it
in our Chapel.  When depressing keys very slowly, I had noticed I was
feeling a resistance, then a sense of giving-way and easier movement.  This
varies from key-to-key.  I now believe it's the variations in condition of
heel cushions.  Am I on to something here?

I have asked our chairman again for the dollars to buy a new set of reps
(these are teflon-bushed anyway, and I'd love to get rid of them -- flange
pinning is very loose on some -- and the original hammer flanges were
incredibly loose).  BUT...if he says no, how can I recondition these heels?
Should I undertake to replace felt and underfelt?  Never done this before.
Not sure that bolstering will yield a consistent, recital-level result?

Thanks for your thoughts.
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician