[CAUT] WNG shanks= louder piano confirmed

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Sep 19 12:43:04 MDT 2010

Hi Keith,

I wish I could do this, but the glue WNG sent me is permanent and I can't
move the hammers ever again!  I learned this trick you say as well at an
Oberlin/Steinway seminar 2 years ago and it works very well if you use
hide glue or Titebond trim and moulding glue, but not theirs....it's
really like gel superglue and will not let go.  Also, the glue only gives
you about 45 seconds to get it exactly right on the in and out alignment,
then it sets.  You can still "burn" in the shanks with a heat gun to get
them to 90 degrees, but in and out..no way.

Being able to stretch out the longevity (as well as cost savings) of
shanks, I like the freedom to get 2 sets of hammers for every set of
shanks, but can't do it with these.  Otherwise, the WNG shanks are fairly
easy to work with, come straight out of the box with little or no
travelling needed and very consistant in pin tightness....perhaps a bit
too loose on the swing test, but OK.

Live and learn, eh?

Paul