[CAUT] Brain fart on algebra: OT

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Sep 20 19:16:32 MDT 2010

  On 9/20/2010 4:48 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are you as smart as an 8th grader?
>
> I pay my son 8 cents for every problem he gets correctly solved and
> fine him 5 cents for each incorrect solution. At the end of 26
> problems, neither owes anything to the other. How many problems did
> the boy solve correctly?
>
> What the algebraic solution here?
> Paul

Okay, you want algebra .... a dinosaur can still provide it, still
preserved from back in Grade 7. (Probably preserved by lack of use?)

x = problems done right
y = problems done wrong

x + y  = 26

8x - 5y = 0

5y = 8x (You add 5y to both sides)

y = (8/5)x (you divide both sides by 5)

x + (8/5)x = 26 (you substitute to express y in terms of x)

Easier to write 8.5 as 1.6. Hence x + 1.6x = 26

2.6x = 26.

X is 10.

Test the work:

10 problems right times 8 cents = 80 cents

16 problems wrong times 5 cents = 80 cents