[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 19:24:26 MDT 2010

>If your "budget" can stand it, a new set of WNG capstans will
>decrease weight at the end of the key about 5 to 6 gram.

I haven't seen that large of a reduction. More like 2 to 4g.
I recently replaced a set while relocating the position.
The old capstan weighed 4.8 g while the new weighed 1.8 g.

That's a difference of 3 grams but translated through the
KR = 1.5 g at the front of the key. They can reduce friction
between 1 and 3 g when installed in the original holes.

In many trials I have not seen enough of a change to warrant
the time and expense. I think their biggest benefit is reduced
wear on the felt as David Stanwood posted recently. However,
if you were to relocate the capstans then WNG capstans are a
logical choice.

Regards,

Jon Page