[CAUT] Fortepiano locking systems

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:50:10 MDT 2010

Hello-

What sort of systems do you use to lock a nice fortepiano?  What we have
been using is a goofy looking combination of straps made by the local shoe
maker.    One piece wraps around the narrow part of the case with 2 straps
extended forward and around the front to underneath where they all join and
are locked together with a padlock.  Actually, this might work better if it
had been designed with a little extra length, but it is a real pain to get
all the pieces connected and locked together.  We say it almost looks like a
chastity belt....  and not what we're looking for.   If somebody made a
hands-off fallboard lock that was 14" tall I think we would put in screws
for that.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cheers,

Dennis Johnson