[CAUT] Hammer head removing tool

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 15:07:59 MDT 2010

There may be another problem looming, the WNG shanks are 3/16" in diameter. I
have the hammerhead removing tool that is in the Schaff catalog, which has
always worked perfectly, (though I am planning to

get the pliers from Jurgen). The rod which pushes the shank out is larger,
making it impossible to use my present tool. Maybe I would have to go back to
what we did long, long ago, which was to make a support for the hammer head and
drive the shank out with a hammer and punch. At my age I will never have to
worry about it anyway. But I am concerned about any glue which is not
reversible, especially with hammers. Ron said it was like sticking metal, and as
it happens I make my hammer filing paddles of brass 1/8" thick, and found that
if I roughen them with coarse emery cloth, fish glue works just fine. I only
glue 3/4" each end, which makes it easy to tear off worn sandpaper and clean off
the old glue in warm water. I like the additional weight too. Anyway, noting
that the WNG shank is very nicely roughened, I took the shank from the little
kit we were given and glued an old hammer head with a significantly larger hole
onto the very end, using fish glue. The fit is extremely sloppy, and I realize
this is by no means a definitive test.Even if it holds, it my be that the
stiffness of the shanks would  subject the glue joint to a much severer shock in
comparison to wood.. Fish glue sets slowly, so I am leaving it overnight. I will
let everyone know what I have found so far. I do like the idea of the smaller
shanks.

Ted Sambell