[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 21 21:06:57 MDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Brent Fischer wrote:

> planning on installing Kluge keyframe set on a B and
> will replace front and bal. pins with WNG /any experience
> with this retrofit / I've done a few new frame sets but
> no WNG  keypins yet,

Hi Brent,
	I have installed a set of front and balance pins on an old M. Balance
pins was standard install (I used the .162 because of using the same
keys). Assuming the holes aren't loose, just press them in (mine had
enough friction to hold fine that way). Front pins require the nylon
(I guess) inserts, as the pin size is too small to match most existing
holes. So the hole has to be drilled oversize, inserts pressed in,
inserts drilled, pins pressed in. Not that much work, but a fair bit
extra. I found the sizes of drill bits they recommended were too
small, and went up a size or two. No worries about gluing in the
inserts. Press fit was plenty tight. Pressing the pins in as
recommended rather than pounding is a good idea.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel