[CAUT] Frontpin bending (wasDown Weight)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 22 10:05:15 MDT 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 4:33 AM, Ed Foote wrote:

> Fred writes, inre replacing front pins
> . No worries about gluing in the inserts. Press fit was plenty
> tight. Pressing the pins in as recommended rather than pounding is a
> good idea.
>
>        How are the front of the keys spaced?  Will these pins bend,
> and if so, is the insert hard enough to let the pin bend instead of
> the hole?
>
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html

	With a total of one job under my belt, I had no trouble treating them
as usual. The inserts are pretty hard, and they are inserted into
under sized holes. The hole drilled in them is under the size of the
pin. So the material is pretty stiffly in place.
	When I say I increased the drill size, it wasn't by all that much, a
few thousandths. But with the size recommended, the inserts deformed
rather than inserting. That is, I tried to press one in, and ended up
with it 2/3 of the way in and squished on top. So I upped the size of
the hole enough that I could actually press them flush. Pins also, it
was an enormous struggle to get them in and straight at the size
recommended. But once installed, they were firmer than most front pins
I run into.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu