[CAUT] steinway upright regluation problem

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 13:48:03 MDT 2010

Hi Fred,

I forgot to mention that the wippens in taller pianos are  larger than those in
consoles and thus are a bit heavier. Your point on taking care of friction and
related things is well taken. My assumption was concerned with that done and the
problem still existing. My aim is to set a diagnostic procedure. Incidentally, I
once attended the Europiano  Conference, and engineers from Schimmel said that
the jack spring strength should be about 30 grams. This is measured with a
Correx or similar force gauge between the jack heel and let-off button There
should also be a minimal amount of lost motion between the jack and butt.I am
sure I do not need to remind anyone of that.Jeremy also mentioned hammer weight;
this is of less significance in an upright than a grand. As you say, adding a
little lead to the back of the key is the cure.

Regards, Ted