[CAUT] harpsichord stand casters?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Sep 27 11:35:44 MDT 2010

Jim,

Could we please get a picture of this? I may see if our shop people here
could make me something like this.

Thanks
Paul

From:
Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
To:
"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
Date:
09/27/2010 12:30 PM
Re: [CAUT] harpsichord stand casters?

Hi John,

We own 5 of them. One is the Janssen (retails now for about $1,300.00 I
think) but the other 4 were custom built by our scene shop guys for about
$400.00. Same basic idea, but not with all the bells and whistles,
adjustments, etc. The main shop guy, who is very mechanically inclined,
took one look at the Janssen and said “I can do better than that” then
came back with the current transport. 3 jacks, big wheels, and tubing
between them. They also have a strong spring which pulls the jack back
down when you release it, so you don’t have to push it down by hand. He
also put “guides” on the piano proper,  that the jack tops push up into,
so there is no chance of putting it in the wrong place. He’s now modifying
them with a scissor jack system where the operator stands at the side and
twists a lever that makes all 3 raise at the same time. I can’t see how he
will do this, but we’ll see.

Anyway, some simple form of this should work. I must say that I like the
Janssen Transport’s adjustability, and it also folds down small enough to
put in the trunk of a car. We move everything from Ds to harpsichords with
it.

Good luck!
Jim