[CAUT] Prepared pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 1 19:47:46 MST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 6:54 PM, Kent Swafford wrote:

> I thought one marked on either side of the node so one doesn't have
> to touch the marks themselves.
>
> Kent

	If you can mark with a piece of chalk on a bit of shiny music wire
precisely enough so that you can get a little mark on one or another
side of a node, and so that it can be seen fairly easily, you are far
better than I am. I find it very difficult to get chalk to transfer to
the wire unless it is rather rusty. So I end up with a smear of chalk
dust that is just barely holding onto the wire. And that is the sort
of thing I often find on our pianos that students are using. It's
pretty iffy whether it will still be there and visible when you
actually need it in the performance. That has been my experience, in
any case, the few times I have performed music where that was needed.
I'd much prefer to have Sauter's lines on the soundboard as a
reference, but you still need to know which string (which could then
be marked on the damper). But a tiny strip of paper is quite visible
and stays put (sticky part of sticky note). A piece of white thread is
another option I have used/recommended.
	If your strings are at least a bit rusty, chalk works just fine,
sticks and is visible enough. And then, sure, not precisely at the
node, just in front or just behind, as you choose. Both sides if you
can't remember what you decided <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu