[CAUT] On the value of muffler rails

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 09:42:35 MST 2011

Don,

I do concede the point, but in actual practice this rarely occurs.If the felt
wears out it is rarely replaced. I do have one customer, a very sensitive music
teacher who used it because the treble hurt her ears, but after voicing the
hammers she no longer does. It raises the issue too that a prospective buyer
will most probably understand the need for tuning, but will not be told that
regular use of the middle pedal will require  replacement of the felt. It might
lead the piano owner to believe their piano to be faulty, or become a warranty
concern. To install a component which is known to wear out quickly has more in
common with planned obsolescence than good maintenance.

Ted