[CAUT] clavichord, laminated soundboard

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Fri Feb 11 09:38:22 MST 2011

1. Clavichords with a sustaining stop (called a 'pantalon' stop) were produced in the 18th century. The device consists of a second set of tangents that remain in contact with the strings after the striking tangent falls away, allowing the strings to continue vibrating.
2. Six-octave clavichords were produced until about 1820.
3. Laminated piano soundboards were also used in the 18th century, notably by Lemme.

Laurence